Re: Package "luwak"

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:05:00 +0300

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2022-12-15 00:36]:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > That could be so -- I don't have a conclusion -- but name calling
> > (like "a modern user") doesn't prove it.
>
> I can assure you that "modern user" wasn't meant to be a form of name
> calling, just a reference to the fact that most people, even Emacs users
> have at best little experience with text-based browsers.

Many Emacs packages are peculiar for specific tasks, they are there
because they are useful to some people, not to majority of people
and not because they are popular.

Scientists lead the world and they use their peculiar and very much
not popular software. By using Emacs use is empowered. This is for
the reason that Emacs users are not limited to boundaries of
popularity.

Popularity obviously has constraints. When one wish to accommodate
modern users, that would mean to follow the mainstream and
mainstream direction for modern users is strictly private business
of largest companies such as Google or Apple.

Even the opinion of what modern users may like is not truly an
opinion but it is implanted information by what major companies
dictate onto those users.

Regarding text based browsers, since I found them 1999, I still use
them today in 2022. Of course not always, but definitely sometimes.

Very often I use `lynx´ with the `--head´ switch just to find out if
specific long file exists on the server. Being in a country where
Internet bandwidth is not so cheap spares my money! Same applies to
websites with a lot of pictures and distractive elements where I am
interested in the main context.

Then there is use for `lynx´ and `elinks´ and `luwak´, EWW and Emacs
`w3m´ programs where I wish to read some paywall websites. Many of
those websites rely on the modern web browsers to run Javascript.
And instead of disabling Javascript in a GUI browser I tend to use
Emacs `w3m´ or EWW or luwak now when I know about it.

And how about the speed? Sometimes we need text and information in
speedy manner.

Then sometimes I like to take text from a website and re-format it
for personal notes. Text browser help in doing so.

Especially within Emacs, any kind of text browser is helpful as it
directly brings the text from Internet into the editor, and that
makes it useful.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns