Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 08:48:01 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > But the downside is also less than with shipping pure binaries, because
>   > platforms without shipped native-compiled code will just have a longer
>   > startup time, but the package will still work.
>
> Why do you expect this to affect startup time?  Are you assuming the
> first thing done after downloading the package will beto
> native-compile it?  Why should that be?

Usually a package is either native-compiled on first usage or directly
on installation. If it is not native-compiled on installation, the first
usage causes a compilation with the results saved into the eln-cache.

But I just realized that I had misunderstood the original suggestion:
it’s not actually compiled transparently, but needs to be compiled to be
usable at all.

I’m sorry for misunderstanding the extend of the compilation.

⇒ I was wrong and the policy should be held up.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein