Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 13:38:19 -0600

On 04 Jan 2023, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Yuan Fu [2023-01-02 20:11:50] wrote:
I wrote xeft.el awhile ago, it allows you to search text notes really fast by using a dynamic module. My initial plan is to somehow plug the dynamic module into Deft some day and I’ll keep xeft to myself. Turns out it’s not very feasible to make Deft use the dynamic module, so now I thought I might as well publish xeft. After all I think it is really cool and I want more
people to use it :-)

You can find xeft here: https://git.sr.ht/~casouri/xeft

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way this is set up:
it's unusable without downloading further code first.

FWIW, I also was uncomfortable with this. I started to try out xeft, but then I stopped when it asked me if I wanted to download a binary package whose provenance wasn't clear to me.

Actually, I tried choosing the 'c' option to 'c'ompile, but that got a generic error, "Wrong type argument" or something like that. I couldn't tell what was wrong. I thought that having certain Debian packages (xapian-tools, python3-xapian, libxapian30, libxapian-dev) installed already might mean that xeft would Just Work, but that wasn't the case.

Best regards,
-Karl

Why not do it like the `pq` package, which includes the C source code in the GNU ELPA package? IOW merge your `xapian-lite` repository into the `xeft` repository. Or make a GNU ELPA package for `xapian-lite` if you
think the two should not be so closely tied to one another?

Other details I saw along the way:
- You claim you have precompiled packages for GNU/Linux but that's only
 true for amd64, which is only a particular subset of GNU/Linux
(most of my GNU/Linux machines (i386, armhf, arm64) are outside of
 that subset, for example).

- Your source code includes `emacs-module.h` which should not be
necessary because that file is distributed with Emacs (the way `pq` finds it is not ideal, but this might be a good opportunity to look
 at improving the situation and providing a standardized way for
 ELisp packages to find that file).

- `xapian-lite.cc` lacks a license blurb.