Re: Android port (was: gnulib fsusage)

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: Android port (was: gnulib fsusage)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:31:54 +0300

On Sat, 2023-01-28 at 11:21 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> > Cc: bugs@gnu.support, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:06:02 +0300
> >
> > > Since the absolute majority of Android devices out there are non-free,
> > > the fact that a small number of free ones exist is not relevant to
> > > the main points of this discussion.
> >
> > You seem to be confusing a platform per se with customer devices it
> > installed on. The Android platform is free: it has its sources open, it is
> > being developed in the open, and it even has derivatives.
>
> AFAIK, even this part is not true: most Android devices have custom
> proprietary additions and changes to the platform specific to each
> vendor.

Please don't generalize actions of individual companies to the platform as
whole. Your reply doesn't make my statement false, because the original Android
is the one where no such vendor additions were made.

Either way, I doubt Po is planning to make any use of such proprietary
additions, so discussing those additions has no value.