Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 14:21:25 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  rms@gnu.org,  m.eliachevitch@posteo.de,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 10:29:13 +0200
>
> So I'd suggest a generic API on these lines:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defvar spelling-ignore-functions nil
>   "Hook used to determine if a word should be excluded from spell checking.
> These functions are called with two arguments, the start and end
> positions of a word, until a non-nil value is returned.  Any
> result other than nil or `never' indicates that the word should
> be excluded from spell checking.

If we pass START and END, why does the region have to be a single
"word"? why not let the caller specify a larger region to be skipped?

> Modes derived from `prog-mode' should leave it up to the spell
> checker to decide whether or not to ignore comments, strings or
> code regions.  They may provide more specific rules, if desired,
> but this typically not needed.

Why?  I thought the purpose of this is to override what the
spell-checker knows, and that includes comments and strings, if
needed.  So I see no reason for such a recommendation.

> (defun spelling-ignored-p (start end)
>   "Return non-nil if the word between START and END should not be spell
> checked.
> See `spelling-ignore-functions' for information on how this is
> determined."
>   (save-excursion

Why do we need save-excursion?

> The above would go into a “neutral” place like simple.el.

Why not ispell.el?  All the spelling functions use ispell.el anyway.
simple.el is preloaded, so having this there bloats every Emacs
session for no good reason, IMO.