Re: treesit indentation "blinking"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: treesit indentation "blinking"
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 21:14:07 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:04:42 +0100
> Cc: acm@muc.de, casouri@gmail.com, theo@thornhill.no, geza.herman@gmail.com,
>       dancol@dancol.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, dgutov@yandex.ru
>
> On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 6:51 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > > From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:23:57 +0100
> > > Cc: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
> > >       theodor thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>, geza.herman@gmail.com,
> > >       Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org, Dmitry
> > > Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> > >
> > > So you'd tone down electric-indent-chars, but that's been turned
> > > down.
> >
> > Doing that _by_default_ was turned down.  Users can still do that in
> > their mode hooks if they want.  So nothing is lost, since this seems
> > to be heavily affected by personal preferences and by whether or not
> > electric-pair-mode is turned on.
>
> I am precisely talking about the default state of c++-ts-mode.
> I don't think there is anyone who really likes it at the moment.

We need more opinions and feedback before we know whether and how to
change the defaults.

> This is regardless of personal preference w.r.t. electric indentation:
> c++-mode's default state in that area is much more consistent.

c++-mode's default state is not relevant to this discussion.  It's a
different mode with different design and different advantages and
disadvantages.  It also has much more history behind it.

> Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe when these bugs are fixed, stock/default
> c++-ts-mode will be better.  Currently it is not so nice.

Your opinions are noted.