Re: [GNU ELPA] I'd like to add switchy.el: a last-recently-used window s

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] I'd like to add switchy.el: a last-recently-used window switcher
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 08:56:16 +0000

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've written a small utility called switchy.el which I'd like to add to
> GNU ELPA.  I can do that on my own but wanted to give you a chance for
> commenting first.  I'm attaching the file below.
>
> In essence, the single command provided is `switchy-window' which is
> similar to `other-window' except that it switches to other windows in
> last-recently-used order instead of top-to-bottom-left-to-right order.
> With quick consecutive invocations you can reach any window but if you
> have a small delay between invocations (controlled by the single
> defcustom `switchy-delay'), you toggle between the two last recently
> used windows.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo
>
> ;;; switchy.el --- A last-recently-used window switcher  -*- lexical-binding:
> t; -*-
> ;;
> ;; Copyright (C) 2023 Tassilo Horn
> ;;
> ;; Author: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
> ;; Version: 1.0
> ;; Homepage: https://sr.ht/~tsdh/switchy/
> ;; Repository: https://git.sr.ht/~tsdh/switchy
> ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "25.1") (compat "29.1.3.4"))

If you are to use compat 29.1.0.0 or newer then you also have to require
it!

> ;; SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-3.0-or-later
> ;;
> ;; This file is NOT part of GNU Emacs.

If added to GNU ELPA, this should be change to "... is part of GNU
Emacs", right?

> [...]
> ;;  (add-hook 'window-selection-change-functions
> ;;            (lambda (frame)
> ;;              (when (eq frame (selected-frame))
> ;;                (pulse-momentary-highlight-one-line))))
>

> ;;; Code:
>
> (defgroup switchy nil
>   "Switchy is a last-recently-used window-switcher."
>   :group 'windows)
>
> (defvar switchy--tick-counter 0
>   "Values of this counter represent the last-recently-used order of windows.
> Only for internal use.")
>
> (defvar switchy--tick-alist nil
>   "An alist with entries (WINDOW . TICK).
> A higher TICK value means a window has more recently been visited.
> Only for internal use.")
>
> (defcustom switchy-delay 1.5
>   "Number of seconds before the current window gets locked in.
> If more time elapses between consecutive invocations of
> `switchy-window', the current window's tick (timestamp) is
> updated in `switchy--tick-alist' and the current switching cycle
> ends."
>   :type 'number)
>
> (defvar switchy--timer nil
>   "The timer locking in the current window after `switchy-delay' seconds.
> Only for internal use.")
>
> (defvar switchy--visited-windows nil
>   "The windows having already been visited in the current switching cycle.")
>
> (defun switchy--on-window-selection-change (&optional frame)
>   "Record the next `switchy--tick-counter' value for the selected window of
> FRAME.
> Meant to be used in `window-selection-change-functions' which is
> arranged by `switchy-minor-mode'."
>   (when (eq frame (selected-frame))
>     (when switchy--timer
>       (cancel-timer switchy--timer))
>     (setq switchy--timer (run-at-time
>                           switchy-delay nil
>                           (lambda ()
>                             (setf (alist-get (selected-window)
>                                              switchy--tick-alist)
>                                   (cl-incf switchy--tick-counter))
>                             (setq switchy--visited-windows nil))))))
>
> (defun switchy-window (&optional arg)
>   "Switch to other windows in last-recently-used order.
> If prefix ARG is given, use least-recently-used order.
>
> If the time between consecutive invocations is smaller than
> `switchy-delay' seconds, selects one after the other window in
> LRU order and cycles when all windows have been visited.  If
> `switchy-delay' has passed, the current switching cycle ends and
> the now selected window gets its tick updated (a kind of
> timestamp)."
>   (interactive)
>
>   (unless switchy-minor-mode
>     (user-error "switchy-window requires `switchy-minor-mode' being active"))
>
>   ;; Remove dead windows.
>   (setq switchy--tick-alist (seq-filter
>                              (lambda (e)
>                                (window-live-p (car e)))
>                              switchy--tick-alist))
>   ;; Add windows never selected.
>   (dolist (win (window-list (selected-frame)))
>     (unless (assq win switchy--tick-alist)
>       (setf (alist-get win switchy--tick-alist) 0)))

The setf is strictly speaking unnecessary here and causes an accidental
O(n^2) slowdown, since you traverse the list once to check if it has an
entry and then traverse it again to check if you can set 0 to an
existing entry.  You could also just push a cons-cell to the beginning.
Then again, this is all bounded by the maximal number of windows that
someone has open so it doesn't matter in practice.

>   ;; Ensure the current window is marked as visited.
>   (setq switchy--visited-windows (cons (selected-window)
>                                        switchy--visited-windows))
>
>   (let ((win-entries (seq-filter
>                       (lambda (e)
>                         (let ((win (car e)))
>                           (and (eq (window-frame win) (selected-frame))
>                                (or (minibuffer-window-active-p win)
>                                    (not (eq win (minibuffer-window
>                                                  (selected-frame)))))
>                                (not (memq win switchy--visited-windows)))))
>                       switchy--tick-alist)))
>     (if win-entries
>         (when-let ((win (car (seq-reduce (lambda (x e)
>                                            (if (and x (funcall (if arg #'<
> #'>)
>                                                                (cdr x) (cdr
> e)))
>                                              e))
>                                          win-entries nil))))
>
>           (progn

Why the progn if you are using when-let?

>             (setq switchy--visited-windows (cons win
> switchy--visited-windows))
>             (select-window win)))
>       ;; Start a new cycle if we're not at the start already, i.e., we visited
>       ;; just one (the current) window.
>       (when (> (length switchy--visited-windows) 1)

Or (length> switchy--visited-windows 1)?

>         (setq switchy--visited-windows nil)
>         (switchy-window)))))
>
> (defvar switchy-minor-mode-map (make-sparse-keymap)
>   "The mode map of `switchy-minor-mode'.
> No keys are bound by default.  Bind the main command
> `switchy-window' to a key of your liking, e.g.,
>
>   ;; That\\='s what I use.
>   (keymap-set switchy-minor-mode-map \"C-<\" #\\='switchy-window)

If you are already making use of keymap-set, you might as well define
the map itself using defvar-keymap (Compat provides it).

>   ;; Or as a substitute for `other-window'.
>   (add-hook \\='switchy-minor-mode-hook
>             (lambda ()
>               (if switchy-minor-mode
>                   (keymap-global-set \"<remap> <other-window>\"
>                                      #\\='switchy-window)
>                 (keymap-global-unset \"<remap> <other-window>\"))))")
>
> (define-minor-mode switchy-minor-mode
>   "Activates recording of window selection ticks.
> Those are the timestamps for figuring out the last-recently-used
> order of windows.
>
> The minor-mode provides the keymap `switchy-minor-mode-map',
> which see."
>   :global t
>   :keymap switchy-minor-mode-map

Isn't this the default anyway?

>   (if switchy-minor-mode
>       (add-hook 'window-selection-change-functions
>                 #'switchy--on-window-selection-change)
>     (remove-hook 'window-selection-change-functions
>                  #'switchy--on-window-selection-change)))
>
> (provide 'switchy)
>
> (provide 'switchy)

Accidentally duplicated?

--