Emacs 28.3 Release

From: Troy Hinckley
Subject: Emacs 28.3 Release
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:05:04 -0500

Hi Emacs devs,
I am asking again what we can do to complete the Emacs 28.3 release. My concern is that we have a narrow window in which this version will be viable. As it currently stands the latest stable release has a high severity CVE that prevents Emacs from being installed in security sensitive domains. 28.3 will resolve that and make the latest stable release usable. However, someone will inevitably find another CVE against Emacs. At that point 28.3 will no longer be useful. Given how hard it has been to get this release, I doubt there would be resources to add another security patch to Emacs 28.

I am requesting to see if there is anything the community can do to help complete this release before it becomes irrelevant. The release candidate has been out for couple months at this point.

— Troy Hinckley