Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:14:06 +0300

On 19/04/2023 21:07, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It has similar problems: it will automatically update packages
mentioned in package--safely-upgradeable-builtins, which might not be
what users want for built-in packages.

IMO that kind of choice could be deferred to the maintainer of each individual package. Or make it a defcustom if you're really worried.

BTW, even choosing that patch where this user option is a defcustom defaulting to nil would make more sense to me than the patch we currently decided to install.

You assume that everyone will
want Eglot and use-package automatically updated, but this assumption
has no real basis.

People don't call 'M-x package-install' automatically, nor do they put those calls in their init files automatically. The only cases where Eglot would be automatically updated, even with the proposed patch, is when the user previously declared their intention to have Eglot updated at least once, in some manual fashion (e.g. using 'package-install' interactively).

I object in general to any feature that
unexpectedly installs some software without the explicit user's
say-so.

No disagreement here.