Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 23:50:17 +0300

On 19/04/2023 22:46, João Távora wrote:
Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 8:39 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

Or make it a defcustom if you're really worried.

That doesn't change the picture, unless the default for the defcustom
will be nil.  Which I expect João to object to, because he wants Eglot
to be updated by default and automatically.

Only when their init script contains

    (package-install 'eglot)

or

    (use-package 'eglot :force t)

right?

Yes, at least that.  I've given up on interactive M
-x package-install offering Eglot in the completions.  It's also a
backward incompatibility but at least that will alarm users and they
will get some notice that something changed from Emacs 28 to
Emacs 29.

Whereas the silent noop of the non-interactive case is much
worse.

And it's ":ensure", not ":force" by the way. Just ask ChatGPT,
it'll tell you ;-)

I try not to talk to robots in my spare time ;-)

So... are you sure that (use-package 'eglot :ensure t) upgrades/upgraded the package?

From what I'm reading in use-package-ensure-elpa, all 'package-install' calls are wrapped in

  (unless (package-installed-p package)

That seems to mean that, as long as the package is installed already (whether by being bundled, or because of a previous manual installation), it shouldn't get upgraded when this form is executed.