Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manu

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manual (bug#62720)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 12:05:59 +0300

On 04/05/2023 04:09, João Távora wrote:
On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 1:57 AM Dmitry<dmitry@gutov.dev>  wrote:
On Thu, May 4, 2023, at 3:50 AM, João Távora wrote:

Anyway, I would rather not have people that have already gotten 1.15 and
using it (not many) seeing eglot-update change to eglot-upgrade.
By 1.20 noone will remember, but I think we should at least add a
compatibility alias (eglot-upgrade being the advertised one, and keep
eglot-update for 3/4 versions).

That would make the situation even more of a mess, wouldn't it? Unless you
intend to drop the alias after a couple of Eglot's releases. But that wouldn't
be possible because both names would have appeared in Emacs 29.
Why messy?  "update" and "upgrade" and used interchangeably
anyway in speech/writing. But if it's "less messy" to revert eglot-update
then no problem.

Here's an idea: only add the alias on master, to be in the next ELPA release of Eglot. Then you could phase it out a couple of releases later, before Emacs 30 is done.