Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manu

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manual (bug#62720)
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 15:01:24 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

>>> That would make the situation even more of a mess, wouldn't it?
>>> Unless you intend to drop the alias after a couple of Eglot's
>>> releases. But that wouldn't be possible because both names would
>>> have appeared in Emacs 29.
>> Why messy?  "update" and "upgrade" and used interchangeably
>> anyway in speech/writing. But if it's "less messy" to revert eglot-update
>> then no problem.

> Here's an idea: only add the alias on master, to be in the next ELPA
> release of Eglot. Then you could phase it out a couple of releases
> later, before Emacs 30 is done.

I added the obsolete compat alias in Emacs 29 (and soon master) in the
end.  I'd rather not have anyone switching back and forth from Emacs
version confused about some command works in some version and not
others.  Can't really foresee any problems.  Also renamed it to
eglot-upgrade-eglot to make it more obvious.

João