Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change to `use-dialog-box-p'
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 14:28:03 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  eliz@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:27:25 +0800
>
> Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Eli writes,
> >
> >> It's not a "behavior", it's a bug!  The behavior we will get with the
> >> change you suggest will surprise (and annoy) many more users!
>
> But we've had this old behavior for decades without complaints.

The situation you are talking about almost never happens, because
last-nonmenu-event is almost never nil.  So the lack of complaints
does not surprise me.

And you haven't answered my question:

> Btw, use-dialog-box-p also looks at last-input-event, and only pops up
> a dialog box if that is non-nil.  In your scenario, is
> last-input-event non-nil?  If so, what is it, and where did it come
> from?

Please answer this, I think there's some factor here we need to
understand.  Right after startup, last-input-event should be nil.