Re: [elpa] externals/denote 51bd02b95c 1/2: Add initial version of 'deno

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/denote 51bd02b95c 1/2: Add initial version of 'denote-rename-buffer' extension
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:51:44 +0000

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>> Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:05:50 +0000
>>
>> Ruijie Yu via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> writes:
>
>> [... 20 lines elided]
>
>>> I'm curious, should GNU elpa packages be considered part of Emacs or
>>> not?  I have previously contributed to pyim, a GNU elpa package, whose
>>> maintainer asked me whether I had FSF CA before including my proposed
>>> changes, and whose package header says it is part of Emacs.
>>
>> I believe this is a mistake, the package is part of the GNU ELPA
>> repository, where all packages are regarded to be part of GNU Emacs.  It
>> might be that Prot used a template to generate this file, and that the
>> template defaulted to "... is not a part ...".
>
> I didn't know this.  To my mind, the modus-themes are "part of Emacs".
> The rest have copyright assigned to the FSF and, as such, "could be part
> of Emacs".
>
> I am happy to change this in all my packages.

I don't think the comment is necessary at all, or at least there are
plenty of packages (both part of GNU ELPA and not) that have neither "is
part" or "is NOT part" comments in the package header.  But I think
Ruijie is justified in being confused that a GNU ELPA package claims not
to be part of Emacs.