Re: [External] : Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [External] : Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 08:06:38 +0200

> Apologies for not taking the time to look into the details of what you
> propose.  Some quick feedback:
> ___
>
> As one user, I use (special-display) frames for *Help*, *info*, *Man*,
> *Completions*, etc. (all buffers named `*...*', in fact).
>
> 1. Please make your feature work with (such) frames, and not just with
> windows in the selected frame.
>
> E.g., pass a non-nil ALL-FRAMES arg to `get-buffer-window'.  (The arg should
> be 0, `visible', or t, not a frame.  I'd vote for t.)

Thank you Drew, that was actually very useful tip; I will take a look and see if
I can rework the patch.

> 2. FWIW, in my use *Help* is no different from *info* (and *Man __*), in the
> sense that I can have multiple Help buffers just as I can have multiple Info
> (and *Man __* buffers).
>
> Only one of the Help buffers is named *Help*, just as only one of the Info
> buffers is named *info* (e.g. `M-n' in Info gives you *info*<N> etc.).  A
> Help command shows buffer *Help*, an Info command shows buffer *info*, etc.

I undersand,and I am aware that different *info* windows are numbered, like
other buffers. To me it seems that the name is matched by prefix, not by entire
name. I am not sure if *info* will always be matched before *info*<1> when
get-buffer or get-buffer-window is called. I am not sure though what alternative
would be, like prompting user with completing read? I am not sure that is a good
alternative either. In case of multiple windows I suggest the workflow remains
same as now (user manually switches to buffer).

> 3. I think that this kind of error msg might need correcting, depending on
> what non-nil value you decide to pass to `get-buffer-window':
>
>   "There is no visible Info buffer"
> ___

I agree. I gladly take suggestions :).

> 4. FWIW, it would be much easier to eyeball your patch if you used a unified
> diff (`diff -u').

I have used: git format-patch -1, which is very simple for me, but I have no
problem running some other command if you give me the command. diff -u is
complete command?

>                    There's a lot of code that is, I think, unchanged other
> than
> being wrapped with some code - only the wrapper was added.

Pretty much so; basically most of those are just wrapped into
with-selected-window. Few have it done manually, but basically it is all the
same
principle.

Thank you for suggestions; if you have more useful stuff I am glad to hear.