RE: [External] : Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 18:04:25 +0000

Apologies for not taking the time to look into the details of what you propose.
 Some quick feedback:
___

As one user, I use (special-display) frames for *Help*, *info*, *Man*,
*Completions*, etc. (all buffers named `*...*', in fact).

1. Please make your feature work with (such) frames, and not just with windows
in the selected frame.

E.g., pass a non-nil ALL-FRAMES arg to `get-buffer-window'.  (The arg should be
0, `visible', or t, not a frame.  I'd vote for t.)

2. FWIW, in my use *Help* is no different from *info* (and *Man __*), in the
sense that I can have multiple Help buffers just as I can have multiple Info
(and *Man __* buffers).

Only one of the Help buffers is named *Help*, just as only one of the Info
buffers is named *info* (e.g. `M-n' in Info gives you *info*<N> etc.).  A Help
command shows buffer *Help*, an Info command shows buffer *info*, etc.

3. I think that this kind of error msg might need correcting, depending on what
non-nil value you decide to pass to `get-buffer-window':

  "There is no visible Info buffer"
___

4. FWIW, it would be much easier to eyeball your patch if you used a unified
diff (`diff -u').  There's a lot of code that is, I think, unchanged other than
being wrapped with some code - only the wrapper was added.  But it's hard to
see the real differences (the wrappers).  Eyeballing the patch helps those
(like me) who have code similar to that in, say, info.el and will need to
update it to accommodate this change.

Thx.