Re: Atom backend for Gnus (nnatom)

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: Atom backend for Gnus (nnatom)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:51:10 +0300

    > I normally use gnus-group-make-rss-group, G R <full RSS URL> RET
    > to subscribe to RSS feeds in Gnus.  The minibuffer prompts for a
    > title, and then the group is immediately visible in the *Group*
    > buffer.  Can you do write gnus-group-make-atom-group for nnatom,
    > eliminating the server browsing step?  (I didn't notice the *Gnus
    > Browse Server* intermediate before -- i.e. that I wasn't already
    > subscribed and put back into the *Group* buffer.)

I could do it, but I want to finish fixing the major issues before I
start adding convenience features.

    >> I'd appreciate it if you could also test these latest changes
    >> (and with multiple feeds).

    > Hmm, now I can't just paste in the full URL without an error being
    > thrown; I think removing http:// or https:// (if required) should
    > be done by automatically nnatom.el, for useability.

This is done due to the way Gnus parses the group name.  Since nnatom
supports adding "servers" in the usual Gnus way, this can't really be
fixed by nnatom.  The only real "fix" would be to automatically trim the
prefix when adding a group using a command like
'gnus-group-make-rss-group'.

    > I tried the latest version against my blog's
    > https://www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom URL.  I can browse the
    > group fine, but after I subscribe to it, when I hit RET in the
    > *Group* buffer I get "Couldn't open server" in the minibuffer.
    > *Server* shows:

    > {nnatom:www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom} (opened)

    > This is still all only using one feed so far.  I will test
    > multiple after one feed works from *Group*.

I've tried your feed with the new version and it works.

Did you kill the group after updating? This might be an issue of Gnus
keeping some old data about the group.  Try searching your ".newsrc.eld"
file for your feed to make sure it's deleted.

Otherwise,
- How did you add the feed?
- What is shown in the buffer opened when you press 'M-e' with point on the
  group in the *Group* buffer?

    > Thanks, Thomas

Thanks for your continued testing.