Re: Atom backend for Gnus (nnatom)

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Atom backend for Gnus (nnatom)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:08:43 -0400

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Semyonov <daniel@dsemy.com> writes:

[...]

> If there is anyone is interested in this,

I'm interested.  I've been using an xsltproc workaround from Emacs Wiki
for Atom feeds, but I always thought a proper "nnatom" backend should be
made.  Nice to see you've done it!

> I'd appreciate help with the remaining major issues; the repository
> for the backend can be found at: https://git.sr.ht/~dsemy/nnatom I
> have already assigned copyright to the FSF for Emacs a few months ago.
>
> Some more details about the major issues:
> - Group methods of new groups are usually corrupted, being replaced
>   completely by the string "nnatom:<url or file of some nnatom group>".
>   This can be worked around in the following way:
>   1. Open the server containing the group and subscribe to it without
>      opening the group itself.
>   2. Press 'M-e' (gnus-group-edit-group-method) while point is on the
>      new group in the *Group* buffer.
>   3. Either write a new Gnus method or replace the URL with the correct
>      one and confirm the change.
>   This only needs to be done once for every group (if it is needed at
>   all).  I've tried debugging this issue many times; I assume at this
>   point that I'm missing something pretty obvious, but I can't figure it
>   out unfortunately.

I just tried nnatom with my blog's Atom feed and I didn't notice any
issue.  Selecting the feed in the *Group* buffer works fine and articles
load properly.  The *Server* buffer shows the link "opened".

Can you share the link to a failing feed, along with steps to reproduce
the issue?

Thomas