Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 06:29:35 -0700

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I think that is too high a bar, given that Emacs must be recompiled
> before it is capable of requesting permissions outside the set of
> permissions enumerated within its manifest.  Which is to say, unless we
> declare these permissions from the outset, such packages will _never_
> have a fighting chance of supporting Android.
>
> Most of our users will run Android 6.0 or later, where most of the
> permissions Emacs requests by default are in fact disabled until
> explicit action is taken to enable them.  Removing these permission
> declarations is tantamount to impeding the development of user Lisp code
> just to assauge minor security concerns on decade-old installations of
> Android.  These versions collectively amount to less than 2.17% of all
> Android installations.

Does this mean that if we want users to be able to enable these
capabilities on Android 6.0 or later, they must also be enabled
unconditionally on Android 5.1?  I guess we can live with that.

That said, I still see no need for these capabilities, so I suggest we
simply remove them:

    RECORD_AUDIO
    CAMERA
    ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION