Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:21:02 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> [2023-09-13 15:10]:
> [I couldn't find any previous discussion about this.]
>
> 1.
>
> a) I don't see why Emacs should be asking for these permissions on
>    Android 5.1 and earlier:
>
>     RECORD_AUDIO
>     CAMERA
>     ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
>     REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES
>     REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES
>     READ_SMS
>     RECEIVE_SMS
>     SEND_SMS
>     WRITE_SMS
>     RECEIVE_MMS
>     READ_CONTACTS
>     WRITE_CONTACTS

I hope to see Emacs being able to do use all of the permissions on Android.

> Are there any technical reasons why we need the above permissions?  If
> not, can we remove them, at least the ones in category (a) and (b)?

Emacs has Emacs Lisp, I use it for running programs and Emacs on
Android will hopefully get functions to use above permissions.

1. RECORD_AUDIO: Emacs could use this permission to enable voice commands or
voice-controlled editing features within the editor.

2. CAMERA: Emacs could utilize the camera permission for functionalities such
as capturing and inserting images directly into documents, visual recognition
features, or scanning QR codes.

3. ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Emacs could leverage this permission to provide
location-based information or contextual features, such as displaying weather
information or adjusting settings based on the user's location.

4. REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES: Emacs may need this permission to facilitate the
installation of additional packages or plugins from external sources to enhance
its functionality.

5. REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES: This permission could be used by Emacs to uninstall
packages or plugins when requested by the user.

6. READ_SMS, RECEIVE_SMS, SEND_SMS, WRITE_SMS, RECEIVE_MMS: Emacs could utilize
these permissions to integrate SMS or MMS-based features, such as sending code
snippets via SMS, receiving notifications or alerts through SMS, or extracting
relevant information from received messages.

7. READ_CONTACTS, WRITE_CONTACTS: Emacs could use these permissions to access
and modify the user's contact information, enabling features like autocomplete
or inserting contact details into documents.

>     NFC
>     TRANSMIT_IR

1. NFC: Emacs could use the NFC permission to interact with Near Field
Communication (NFC) tags or devices. For example, Emacs could read data from
NFC tags containing programming instructions or use NFC for authentication
purposes.

2. TRANSMIT_IR: Emacs could utilize the TRANSMIT_IR permission to control
infrared (IR) devices. This could include using Emacs as a remote control for
TVs, air conditioners, or other IR-enabled devices directly from within the
editor.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns