Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Making default permissions on Android more restrictive
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:35:10 +0800

> Does this mean that if we want users to be able to enable these
> capabilities on Android 6.0 or later, they must also be enabled
> unconditionally on Android 5.1?  I guess we can live with that.

Yes.

> That said, I still see no need for these capabilities, so I suggest we
> simply remove them:
>
>     RECORD_AUDIO
>     CAMERA
>     ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION

ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION, RECORD_AUDIO and CAMERA are in fact useful.  I
am aware of one package which refers to location, microphone and camera
data, the Telegram client:

  https://github.com/zevlg/telega.el/

>     REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES
>     REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES

These are harmless from a security perspective, as they only entitle
Emacs to display an installation dialog from the package manager itself.
They're also useful for debugging and perhaps updating Emacs from within
itself, if we eventually get to that.