Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:19:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>,
>>   owinebar@gmail.com,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:36:07 +0200
>>
>> Maybe it would be worth looking at emacs-ng
>>
>>   https://github.com/emacs-ng/emacs-ng
>>
>> The README lists the feature
>>
>>   Webrender
>>
>>   WebRender is a GPU-based 2D rendering engine written in Rust from
>>   Mozilla. Firefox, the research web browser Servo, and other GUI
>>   frameworks draw with it. emacs-ng use it as a new experimental graphic
>>   backend to leverage GPU hardware.
>
> I didn't look at this, but if by "graphic backend" they mean a
> replacement for xterm.c, then this is much less interesting, because
> the basic limitations of the current display engine's layout and
> iterator (which are all implemented in xdisp.c and dispnew.c) will
> still be with us.

I've cloned the repo now, and it seems indeed to be a backend like xterm
or nsterm etc.  It's called wrterm, and is implemented in ca. 8.5 kloc
of Rust.  I can't read Rust fluently, but I'd say It implements the
usual functions for such a backend and not more.

So, I agree, that's not very interesting in this context.