Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 01:58:42 +0200

When we speak of parallelism, i.e. the use of multicore CPUs,
that is, true concurrency, are we talking Lisp parallelism for
constructs that are parallel in nature, e.g.

(let ((a execute-on-core-one)
      (b execute-on-core-two) )
  (+ a b) )

or are we talking parallelism in the sense to make Emacs as
a program make use of multicores? One could then think of
several arrangement, for example, do display on one core, user
input on the next, and so on?

The former, Lisp parallelism, would be amazingly cool, but
maybe the latter would bring more actual benefit since one
could, if modules were skillfully separated, do lots of
optimization for their specific purposes and needs.

Maybe one could do both since they are not, uhm,
mutually exclusive?

Microkernel Emacs with concurrent Lisp anyone?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal