Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:03:29 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: dmitry@gutov.dev,  yantar92@posteo.net,  acm@muc.de,
>   incal@dataswamp.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:25:07 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Then try leaning on C-n or C-p _after_ everything is already
> > fontified.  You will still see that Emacs sometimes cannot keep up,
> > especially if lines are not too short.
>
> Long lines are, at worst, infrequently encountered in source code,
> aren't they?

_Very_ long (as in: many megabytes) lines are indeed rare.  But what I
said was "not too short", meaning that don't try this with 5-character
or 20-character lines and conclude that all is well.  Source code with
several dozens of characters are still frequent enough.

> And our troubles with long lines are an algorithmic impediment,
> which cannot be ameliorated merely by redisplaying each window on a
> different CPU.

Someone already said that, and I explained why this is false.

> I guess we can only agree to disagree.

It's about time.