Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:24:52 -0400

  > It's not 100%, but seems logical: the problem with long lines is that
  > displaying a single line took non-linear amount of time proportional to
  > its length. To be able to layout it in parallel, we would somehow have
  > to be able to split it into independent pieces (perhaps using some
  > caching mechanism?, IDK).

The usual source of very long lines, in my experience, is when people
write text and let their lines run on and on.  Many people's email
user agents encourage that.

I usually use fill-region to fix the problem, if therr are blank lines
betwee these single-line paragaphs.

Peraps we can designheeuristics for finding tre paragaph bondaries and
insert blak ines between them.  Then we could full the text
autoimatically in more cases.  This would not only fix the slowness,'it
would als make the text easier to read.