Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:55:26 +0300

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Cc: joaotavora@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:10:45 -0400
>

>    On 26/09/2023 18:47, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    >     On 26/09/2023 18:35, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    >     >     On .
>    >     >
>    >     >      >> C-x C-f etc/images/attach.xpm RET
>    >     >      >> q
>    >     >      > Yup, inserts the letter 'q' here.
>    >     >
>    >     > Ditto, inserts a q -- this is master, ./src/emacs -Q.
>    >     >
>    >     > I am guessing someone might be using a X11 or other GUI Emacs...
>    >
>    >     Seems like it.
>    >
>    > So much for consistency ... 😄
>
>    If we could do something for consistency for terminal users (e.g. render
>    xpms with pseudographics or somesuch), we should.
>
> Please, no.  It does not make sense, specially for the case of XPM
> files, they are fully editable using normal text and making the
> display the content would make it worse since you loose out of that
> ability.

This is again your personal preferences speaking, coupled with the
fact that you aren't using a GUI Emacs frequently enough.  Next time
when you visit in a GUI Emacs an image file that can also be edited as
a text file, please make a point of reading what Emacs tells you right
away in the echo-area after you visit the file.

Once again, this whole discussion thread is completely useless.