Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:40:23 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
>> Cc: Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>,
>>   Björn Bidar
>>  <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:30:10 +0200
>>
>> I have verified that all *.el and *.elc files are identical in both
>> cases. I get different checksums for lib/libgnu.a, which is expected
>> because the archive contains timestamps.
>
> So this difference in libgnu.a is the reason for differences in
> checksums?  Isn't there a way to build Binutils in a way that libgnu.a
> and similar archives don't record time stamps?

binuils uses source date epoch but the changes have done quite recently:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=6f56739807051e82a6327ff184b01be67be37670
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=6badd1020f5bebd3f60a780b8e41a1b581046087

None of them are in the current release (2.41) but require backports.