Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:07:21 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 15:17:39 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:39:06 +0000
> > Cc: Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>,
> >   Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > However, when I build the same source tree in two different directories,
> > the results differ.  In native-lisp/30.0.50-15c37793, there are ~22 .eln
> > files differing between the two trees.  As the OP reported, one of the
> > differing files is native-lisp/30.0.50-15c37793/preloaded/x-win-....eln.

> This is expected, since the absolute file names are recorded in
> various places of the Emacs binary and the pdumper file.

Ah.  Indeed this is the case.  There is even an absolute file name in
cc-mode.elc, the place where a doc string is to be found.  :-(

Given this, it would seem to be premature to try and build reproducible
builds if the build directory name is recorded in the binary.  Surely we
need to identify all the places this happens and tidy these up, first.
That's assuming a reproducible build is actually required.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).