Re: master 11f10dc0d0b: Update etc/rgb.txt from X.Org upstream

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 11f10dc0d0b: Update etc/rgb.txt from X.Org upstream
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:45:49 +0800

> I don't know which standard this is referring to.  XFree86R6?

X11R6, from the X Consortium, since that is the earliest release of X11
we support.

> AFAIK, nothing is stopping their use on X.Org so, whatever you and I
> might think of it, it is clear that users can and will use them.

Users won't use them if we don't purvey them through rgb.txt.  They are
also absent from list-colors-display.

> I didn't ask if alternatives existed, but if we should leave this
> non-working on some of our most commonly used systems for the benefit of
> Solaris users (the only example given so far).  I see no catastrophe
> either way, to be quite honest.

Since Emacs built on any machine is capable of connecting to _any_ other
X11R6 server, advertising such colors will affect Emacs on any system,
not merely systems distributed with X.Org servers older than 2014.  And
I'd contend that such "cured", if you will, X servers constitute, if not
the majority, then a substantial share of the multitude of X servers
presently in use.