Re: [External] : Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 23:19:30 +0000

> But no, not so well documented, if you mean the
> Emacs doc for them.  (Just one opinion.)

You're right, of course, but only because the Hyperspec and CLTL2 and
are top-class quality documentation.  The Emacs docs for this library
aren't up to that standard, but they're not terrible either.  Nothing
that can't be plugged, anyway.  Each function could use a link to the
Hyperspec maybe.

> I can't speak so definitively about `pcase.el'.
> Some C.L. things could be used directly in place
> of some of what `pcase' etc. do.  But patterned
> binding, which pcase also does, is very useful.

Sure, of course.  I use pcase sometimes, though cl-destructure-case is
also very useful.  The main advantage of pcase, as far as I udnerstand,
is that it is programmable, but I've not been able to get it.  So in
Eglot I rolled my own macros for fancier destructuring (see eglot.el's
eglot-dbind, for example)

I also agree many things could be brought into no-prefix Elisp
functions.

João