Re: Vendoring code in a (Non?)GNU ELPA package

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: Vendoring code in a (Non?)GNU ELPA package
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 08:20:03 +0200

    >> My module only uses the audio playback API to play music through
    >> Emacs.  I don't currently have plans to make use of other parts
    >> of the library.

    > I see.  It woild not be a pronlem to use a simple free linraru for
    > that.  But maybe it is not necessary.  Will `play-sound' do the
    > job?

Unfortunately no, for various reasons:
- 'play-sound' blocks Emacs while the sound is playing; the functions my
  module implements play audio and manage playback asynchronously.
- 'play-sound' only supports playing WAV and AU files (though I see now
  that sound data can also be passed as a string, so I could implement
  decoding functions in C and use them together with 'play-sound' to play
  any sound file IIUC).
- My module has been successfully tested on Android, and should also work
  on Windows.  'play-sound' doesn't work at all on Android, and passing
  sound data as a string isn't supported on Windows.

    >> Assuming you mean the miniaudio library itself, it seems there is
    >> an official "split" version of it which contains both
    >> "miniaudio.c" and "miniaudio.h", where the actual implementation
    >> lives inside "miniaudio.c".

    > That makes sense to me -- it is common practice.  How does the
    > version you use differ from that?

The version I use (which is the "main" version) combines "miniaudio.c"
and "miniaudio.h" into a single file.