Re: Vendoring code in a (Non?)GNU ELPA package

From: No Wayman
Subject: Re: Vendoring code in a (Non?)GNU ELPA package
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 23:00:35 -0500

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Is there anyone who _wants_ `play-sound' to wait for the sound to
finish?

Is there anyone who has code that would need to be changed if we
modify `play-sound' not to wait for the sound to finish?

If the change would not cause trouble for anyone, we can go ahead
and change the behavior.

We might want to define an argument value that directs `play-sound' to wait, like `sleep-for', while playing the sound. And another argument value that directs it to wait but stop if there is keyboard input,
like `sit-for'.

How about: (defun play-sound (sound &optional async) ...

With the ASYNC parameter being:

- nil, block while playing (backward compatible).
- t, play the sound asynchronously.
- A callback function which is executed once the sound playing process terminates. I'm not familiar enough with the play-sound API to say whether or not it'd be useful to pass something back to the callback function.