Re: Question on set-window-margins

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question on set-window-margins
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:15:26 +0200

> From: "Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 06:50:17 +0100
>

> Yuan Fu [2024-01-02 at 19:42] wrote:
> >
> > I think Nicolas means that the last paragraph isn’t present in
> > the
> > docstring of set-window-margin. That paragraph is only in the
> > manual. It might be a good idea to mention this caveat in the
> > docstring.
>
> Exactly.

I added that, but I'm always surprised by people jumping to
conclusions without studying both the relevant doc string(s) and the
relevant descriptions in the manual.  Doc strings and the manuals have
different purposes and different size limitations, so it's
unreasonable to expect only one of them to include all of the
important information, let alone that of secondary importance,
caveats, etc.

Please always look up the functions you are interested in both in the
built-in help and in the manual, before you conclude that something is
strange or undocumented.