Re: Question on set-window-margins

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Question on set-window-margins
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 07:29:00 -0500

On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 11:49 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> We do that when there are too many details to have them in the doc
> string.  Otherwise, there's no need for a link because typing 'i' in
> the *Help* buffer will show the corresponding documentation in the
> manual.

A visual link has the virtue that it makes immediately clear case
holds.  No link?  Then the doc string is equivalent to what one
will find in the manual (or the function is not documented in any
manual).  Link present?  Then clearly there exists documentation
somewhere that goes beyond what is included in the doc string.

When I run describe function, along with the signature and the
actual doc string, I get additional boilerplate:

xxx-yyy-zzz is an autoloaded interactive byte-compiled Lisp
function in ‘xxx.el’.

<SIGNATURE>

<DOC STRING>

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version ee.v.

Help-mode binds 's' to help-view-source.  That has prevented
us from supplying a visible link to the source.  Similarly, I
suggest that, when there exists a relevant, more detailed bit
of documentation, the first line could be extended to read:

xxx-yyy-zzz is an autoloaded interactive byte-compiled Lisp
function in ‘xxx.el’.  [full doc]