Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 03:57:24 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> If that’s the case, what about using “Translated manuals” for now,
>> since the number of translated manuals is very low?
>
> I'd say the other way around: as long as we have very few
> translations, keeping them together with the English version is
> better.

I'm concerned that they'd get in the way, even if there are only few of
them.

How about using something like `Info-streamline-headings' for this:

- Put manuals under "Translated manuals" for English locales.

- Move those relevant to the current locale to "Emacs".

I'd probably take it a step further and completely hide translations (by
default at least) outside of relevant locales.  We already do basically
that for the tutorial.