Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:28:46 +0200

> From: Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>
> CC: "pertusus@free.fr" <pertusus@free.fr>,
>       "jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org"
>       <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org>, "stefankangas@gmail.com"
>       <stefankangas@gmail.com>, "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>       "rms@gnu.org" <rms@gnu.org>, "help-texinfo@gnu.org"
> <help-texinfo@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:58:20 +0000
>
> Emacs info viewer inserts the word « see », even in French, before links,
> fortunately « see » does
> not mean anything wrong in French, but still, this is a hassle. I wonder why
> this was done this way.

We can insert the equivalent of "see" in the document's language
(there's a TODO item for that), but to do it correctly we need to know
the language of the manual.  Up until now, makeinfo didn't leave any
trace of the @documentlanguage directive in the Info file it produces,
so Emacs couldn't DTRT there.  AFAIU the development version of
Texinfo has a change to propagate @documentlanguage into the Info
file, so now the TODO item is doable as soon as the new version of
Texinfo is released.

> Also, a module like Calc finds function / command doc in the manual relying
> on some search, so this
> way of doing should be generalized, and made language independant if for
> other module than Calc
> people want to proceed this way, and if they want have translation of the
> manual.

Not sure I understand this.  Could you please provide the details
about the search for functions in Calc?