Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 08:48:03 +0000

> On Jan 7, 2024, at 4:18, Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 10:36:28AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Would @author be also used for the translator?
>>
>> @author is a TeX command and goes into the printed version.  For
>> translation, we'd need a separate directive, I think, since a
>> translator is not the author.  Again, this is something for the
>> Texinfo folks to handle.
>
> The Texinfo manual gives the example
>
>     @author by Jane Smith and John Doe
>
> The word "by" show that the argument of @author does not just have
> to be the name of the author.  However, it may be confusing for some
> output formats, such as DocBook.  The example in the Texinfo manual:
>
> @titlepage
> @title NAME-OF-MANUAL-WHEN-PRINTED
> @subtitle SUBTITLE-IF-ANY
> @subtitle SECOND-SUBTITLE
> @author AUTHOR
> @page
> @end titlepage
>
> yields, in DocBook:

> <subtitle>SUBTITLE-IF-ANY
> SECOND-SUBTITLE</subtitle>
> <authorgroup>
> </authorgroup>
> </bookinfo>
>
> It's questionable whether this would be a correct use of <collabname>
> and <authorgroup> or not.  The online DocBook documentation says,
>
> "The AuthorGroup element is a wrapper around multiple authors or other
> collaborators."
>
> <https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/authorgroup>

I guess there is a reason why you refer to DocBook 4.5 and not DocBook 5.0?

https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.0/ch01#introduction-whats-new

collabname and a few others have been merged into orgname.

collab now has the following children:  affiliation, org, orgname, person,
personname.

https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.0/collab