Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 21:29:08 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Please do install jami-bit, but DO NOT install org-jami-bot without
> some changes.  Before that is installed, it needs to be changed not to
> require or presuppose Org format.

org-jami-bot's description is the following:

Capture GNU Jami messages as notes and todos in Org mode
 `org-jami-bot' builds upon `jami-bot' and extends it with Org mode capture
;; functionality for text messages and images.  It allows to schedule agenda
;; items at specific dates, compose multi-measure captures and capture images --
;; all by sending a message via the GNU Jami messenger.

In other words, org-jami-bot package is an integration of jami-bot with
org-capture API. Its name clearly indicates that it has something to do
with Org mode.

> We have not adopted Org format as the standard Emacs format for text,
> because it would not be adequate for that.  Designing additional
> packages to impose the use of Org format, even though they have
> nothing to do with Org, pushes Emacs in a direction that is not a good
> design.

I am not sure what is the problem you are trying to avoid, but I hope
that you did not imply that packages that provide integration with Org
mode are not allowed on ELPA.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,