Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:24:45 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:12:20 -0800
> Cc: hanno@hoowl.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > It would not be the first time.  There are various other features that
> > were integrated into Org mode and there is no way to use them from
> > Emacs except via Org mode.  It is a general design flaw, taking Emacs
> > overall in a bad direction.
>
> Sure, but you might be preaching to the choir here.  There is already
> broad agreement on this point.  The Org maintainers themselves proposed
> some features (org-protocol and org-capture) that are good candidates to
> separate from Org in this very thread.

What about ox-* packages?  Could they be converted to more
generally-useful export capabilities for Emacs?

In general, I feel that the various useful capabilities in Org were
generalized only to the level of Org, but not beyond that.  Look at
ob-* or oc-* or ol-* -- these could be the basis of Emacs features
useful in other places, but they are written in Org-specific ways that
make using them elsewhere difficult and sometimes even nonsensical.

I think patches to bring at least some of that into Emacs will be very
welcome, in the same way we nowadays use some originally Gnus-only
features in Emacs outside of Gnus (the most prominent example is
message.el, but there are others).