Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:42:38 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Cc: hanno@hoowl.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 16:08:08 -0500
>>
>> Please do install jami-bit, but DO NOT install org-jami-bot without
>> some changes.  Before that is installed, it needs to be changed not to
>> require or presuppose Org format.
>
> If org-jami-bot is specifically for doing something on top of Org, I
> see no problem in installing it as it is.

Yes, indeed.  Without the org parts, there's nothing there.  To change
it "not to require org" amounts to writing another package from scratch.

>> We have not adopted Org format as the standard Emacs format for text,
>> because it would not be adequate for that.  Designing additional
>> packages to impose the use of Org format, even though they have
>> nothing to do with Org, pushes Emacs in a direction that is not a good
>> design.
>
> AFAIU, org-jami-bot _does_ have something to do with Org.

We are also not discussing adding this package to core Emacs, but to GNU
ELPA.  There, we do not just allow but in fact actively encourage
extensions that are likely to be useful only in niche use cases.

There are no plans to adopt Org as the standard Emacs format for text.