Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Daniel Cerqueira
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 19:14:36 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Daniel Cerqueira <dan.list@brilhante.top>
>> Cc: Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr>,
>>   jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org,  stefankangas@gmail.com,
>>   vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  rms@gnu.org,
>>   help-texinfo@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:48:46 +0000
>>

> What do you do if you need to translate a cross reference from the
> GnuPG manual to the Emacs manual?  Do you translate the node name to
> which the cross-reference points?  If so, how do you know what is the
> translation of that node's name in the Emacs manual?

Sorry Eli, I did let anger take over when replying to you.

Regarding GnuPG and Emacs manuals, those are not translated at GnuPG,
AFAIK. The translators mostly do the .po files. There is also another
file that needs translation.

>> I wholeheartedly disagree with Eli. In here I am nobody, but still I
>> don't like this complexity being added to a tool that I use to make
>> my books (texinfo).
>
> So you prefer that the Info reader shows an error message when the
> user clicks a cross reference to another manual, and the translation
> of that manual is not installed on the user's system, even if the
> English version of that manual _is_ installed?  That's what I meant by
> "sub-optimal".
>
> I didn't suggest any solution, let alone a complex one.  I just said
> that I think such a solution should exist.

Let me see. I think it would be best to show a standard error page, that
has links to the English manual, and a link or message to translate that
untranslated part, to our own language.

I would be ok with it automatically redirecting to the English manual,
but I know that, for example, Brazilian Portuguese speakers know very
little regarding English, and in that case, a English redirection might
not be suitable.

Requiring a internet connection is a no no.

Don't know if I am contradicting myself, I suppose this is a bit
complex.

The English node names should be the ones to be used
whole-languages-wide.