Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:29:47 -0500

When a feature is implemented to depend unnecessarily on Org mode,
assuming it is ok in all other respects, we must say to the
contributors, "We like this feature, but before we install it we want
you to fix this problem: avoidable dependence on Org mode.  Keep the
functionality of working with Org mode, but make the same features
work also eithout Org mode."

We already take this stance regarding various other kinds of flaws.
The usual result, when we do that, is that the flaws are fixed.  But
at least it avoids piling up increasing numbers of flaws.

We must do the same thing when a package has the flaw of avoidable
dependence on Org mode.

  > When discussing with package authors how their package might better fit
  > into the broader Emacs environment, we should prefer nudging people in
  > the right direction, and be careful to inspire rather than demotivate.

I agree.  In our communication with the contributors, we should
encourage them and even offer them help in fixing the flaw.  We should
explain what to do in a clear way, and show examples.  I hope that
jami-bot will soon be an example we can show of the right way to do
things.

But that doesn't mean we should install the package with a flaw that
might exist uncorrected for many years.