Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 03:58:34 -0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>                                                         To change it 'not to
>   >     require org' amounts to writing another package from scratch."
>
> Maybe that's what's needed, then.  The crucial thing is that this
> feature "Jami capture" not be limited to Org mode.  But any reasonable way
> of doing it is ok -- that level is not what the issue is about.

We can't start blocking Org specific features until they are rewritten
to work without Org too, because that puts an undue burden on
contributors.  People are scratching their own itches first and
foremost.  Note that we don't put up any such roadblocks in other cases.

It is fine to suggest it, of course.  But we can't force people.
Some might consider this a moral issue, but it is actually even more so
a practical one: they will simply go away (for example to MELPA).

When discussing with package authors how their package might better fit
into the broader Emacs environment, we should prefer nudging people in
the right direction, and be careful to inspire rather than demotivate.
I'm concerned that this subthread is not doing that, since it started
out with the proposal that the package shouldn't even be accepted.

What's more, the only thing that stands out about this particular
package is that its core functionality is already separated out into
`jami-bot', which others can use to build things for their own favorite
non-Org modes.