Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 09:35:42 +0200

> From: Jeremy Bryant <jb@jeremybryant.net>
> Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:23:29 +0000
>
> A recent theme of discussion has been improving discoverability of Emacs
> features, and in a related way, 'better defaults'.
>
> Here is a suggestion - include which-key in core and potentially enable
> by for new users.

How do we detect "new users"?

If we include which-key, but do not enable it by default, would that
be good enough?

Another idea is to add a feature whereby, after some delay after the
user types an incomplete key sequence, the buffer usually popped by
C-h or '?' pops up automatically.  This would be a smaller change in
the UX, which might therefore be more easily acceptable even by
not-so-new users.