Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:43:03 +0200

> From: Jeremy Bryant <jb@jeremybryant.net>
> Cc: justin@burkett.cc, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 21:16:43 +0000
>
> >> Here is a suggestion - include which-key in core and potentially enable
> >> by for new users.
> >
> > How do we detect "new users"?
>
> Good question, how about a user entry on the splashscreen?

I don't think I understand, please elaborate.  Do you mean we will ask
users to say, up front, that they consider themselves "new users",
each time they start a new Emacs session?

> > If we include which-key, but do not enable it by default, would that
> > be good enough?
>
> Yes.
> How can I help with this?
>
> Move the .el files from the ELPA package into lisp/ ?
> Manual entry- ?

Something like that.  Philip and Stefan will be able to describe the
details.

> > Another idea is to add a feature whereby, after some delay after the
> > user types an incomplete key sequence, the buffer usually popped by
> > C-h or '?' pops up automatically.  This would be a smaller change in
> > the UX, which might therefore be more easily acceptable even by
> > not-so-new users.
>
> Interesting, which buffer and part of the code is this?
> (it seems to appear in *Help*)

Yes, it appears in *Help*, and is produced by describe-prefix-bindings
(via prefix-help-command).