Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:31:58 +0200

> From: orzodk <orzodk@fastmail.com>
> Cc: Jeremy Bryant <jb@jeremybryant.net>,  justin@burkett.cc,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 14:17:12 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Here is a suggestion - include which-key in core and potentially enable
> >> by for new users.
> >
> > How do we detect "new users"?
>
> As a new user, I ran through help-with-tutorial early on. Maybe adding a
> note or suggestion somewhere there is good enough.

That's unreliable.  Users read the tutorial a small number of times,
and a note buried inside it somewhere will go unnoticed or will be
forgotten.  And what about new users who bypass the tutorial
completely?

In any case, the suggestion to which I responded was to _enable_
which-keys for such users, not just to tell them the feature exists.
If we are going to enable which-keys for some class of users, it is
IMO very important to be able to identify them with almost no false
positives, because otherwise the enabled feature might annoy users who
don't expect these popups.