Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:19:31 +0200

On 18/02/2024 15:51, Po Lu wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:

We seem to have a different understanding of the word "cost".
Yours appears to revolve around the cost to "Emacs maintenance"--but
this is an abstract conception offering little in the way of information
that might contribute to a sound decision.  My definition is the
aggregate of the costs to each Emacs developer, which is zero, inasmuch
as work is not being done.

With "zero cost to each developer", the package now lies in a state which cannot be called "well-maintained".

So not only that means that the cost to have it in good state is non-zero, it also shows that the Emacs maintainers failed to identify the problem for a number of years. Because people weren't willing to expend the effort necessary to do so.