Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:38:55 +0200

On 21/02/2024 19:01, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:

On 20/02/2024 22:04, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 20/02/2024 13:48, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

If Flycheck were to use the same interface as Flymake, then the
situation would be better, as it would only be a different UI with
perhaps some other priorities.
Flycheck uses macros to define checkers and output parsers. Perhaps
one day those could expand to Flymake's functional interface under
the covers, but for that to happen, it would help a lot if we were
more welcoming.
So, unless unless there is a strong objection from one of Emacs's head
maintainers, I think I will commence Flycheck's addition to NonGNU in
the next few days.
Before taking this step, can we please discuss the possibility of
creating a uniform interface?  As mentioned in my previous message, this
is the crux of my complaint, and I don't even know what Bozhidar
position on the matter is.

We've discussed it. Such possibility exists.

If we're going to make the implementation of it as a prerequisite for merging, however, I imagine that's just not going to happen. Flycheck's contributors will go back to their own bubble, and we'll stay in ours.

Those are my expectations both from experience, and from the current mood of the people involved.