Re: Code for cond*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Code for cond*
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 22:16:28 -0500

  > >   > Your syntax (FUN VAR ARGS...) has two disadvantages in my view:
  > >   > - It fixes the argument to be checked as the first argument.
  > >   > - It does not syntactically distinguish the VAR from the normal
  > >   >   arguments, making a bit too magical for my taste.
  > > I think this is not a real disadvantage.

  > What makes you think so?
  > I doubt you'd consider coders' confusion as a feature, so what makes you
  > think people won't find it confusing (and/or get confused, even when
  > they may not realize it's confusing)?

It is less unnatural than the pcase patterns for the same things,
such as `pred', so I think any confusion from it will be mild.

      > Of course, there remains the question whether this usage should be
      > the one that gets the privilege of not needing a dedicated
      > "keyword", i.e. to allowing using it without the surrounding `pred`.

I expect this to be frequent, so people will get used to it.
Thus. the cost of learning it will be distributed across many uses,
and users will appreciate the brevity often.