Re: master babe6a5e948 1/2: Introduce a new TRAMP method `androidsu'

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master babe6a5e948 1/2: Introduce a new TRAMP method `androidsu'
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:19:21 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> You are aware that Tramp is a package on its own, maintained outside the
>> Emacs repository?
>
> I was under the impression that maintainers of such packages are
> expected to merge changes applied to Emacs at whatever frequency suits
> them.  CC Mode and Org Mode both observe this protocol, for what it's
> worth.

And so does Tramp. The problem isn't the frequency, but the amount of
changes you have applied w/o synchronization.

>> I would have appreciated if you had contacted the maintainer prior
>> pushing such substantial changes.  And you make it hard to decide,
>> whether your (architectural) approach is best suited, now that it has
>> landed already in Emacs master.  At least pushing to a separate branch
>> would be required.  Even better, if this process happens in the Tramp
>> repository.
>
> OK, sorry.  However, we have until Emacs 30.1 to decide whether this
> feature is ideal for Emacs, so there's no shortage of time.

No shortage of time. But restrictions in what we can change afterwards.

FWIW, after a very very first look on your code I'm even not convinced
we need a new Tramp backend for what you want to achieve.

Michael.